Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Confession and chaos
I've noticed that the first few days after I go to confession everything seems to go to pot. My mood goes haywire, tensions rise at home, and my relations with others are stressed. I think the devil just can't stand a pure soul and so works overtime to mess it up right after its been cleaned. The same thing happens right after a retreat. You just don't get much time to rejoice and to bask in the afterglow of whatever spiritual high you may have experienced. Like that story in Matthew's Gospel:
43 "When an unclean spirit goes out of a person it roams through arid regions searching for rest but finds none. 44 Then it says, 'I will return to my home from which I came.' But upon returning, it finds it empty, swept clean, and put in order. 45 Then it goes and brings back with itself seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they move in and dwell there; and the last condition of that person is worse than the first. Thus it will be with this evil generation." (Mt. 12:43-45)

No comments: