Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Changes in the plot of the Lord of the Rings in the movies
Our friend Karl at Summa Contra Mundum (say, are you looking for philosopher? You should hire him!) says: "Further, the changes do nothing to effect the general theme and direction of the work."

I answer: There are two types of criticisms of the movie: the nitpicky ones that say, "But in the book Frodo picked up the ring first, then said, "You mean this?" Jackson has him SAYING "YOU MEAN THIS" FIRST! AAAAAGH!" I agree with Karl. That kind of criticism doesn't understand what moviemaking is all about.

On the other hand, there is a legitimate question as to whether "the changes do nothing to effect the general theme and direction of the work." I tend to think some of Jackson's changes did do that, especially those dealing with Arwen, Aragorn and Galadriel. (Note: I haven't seen the Two Towers, so I can't comment on those changes, but if what my daughter said about Faramir is true, then I'd say Jackson or the screenwriters really don't get it.) I believe that the specific values that Tolkien wanted to highlight in the books are in some cases at least muted, if not downright altered in the movie. I think, for instance, there needs to be characters like the Faramir of the book. He says something about devotion, humility, and wisdom that a Faramir that wants to use the ring wouldn't say.

I guess I'll have to shut up until I see the movie. If I do. Which I might not. Because I'd rather spend my time reading the book.

No comments: