Tuesday, February 25, 2003

My real problem with the war
I am basically convinced that, for the sake of a stable international order, Saddam must be overthrown (not necessarily primarily for protecting U.S. citizens). I believe that the United Nations ought to condone military action in this case, since SH is obviously not going to cooperate. If the U.N. doesn't I believe it is because of an inherent weakness in the organization itself, the veto power of the five permanent members of the security council, which renders the U.N. not an effective international legal body, thus paving the way for a U.S. led multilateral (NOT unilateral) military compaign. My one hesitation is concerning the ad bellum proportionality criterion. If the U.S. is planning to use saturation bombing of populous areas, or nukes, or any other form of indiscriminate warfare as part of this compaign, I'm opposed to our military action. I believe that the Iraqis will in fact surrender without much of a fuss, since most of them want Saddam outta there, including even some of the high-ranking people. So I don't think the destruction will be that great if we don't do the indiscriminate stuff.

No comments: