Wednesday, February 26, 2003

I offer for your consideration....
A friend of mine e-mailed me this. I'm wondering what you think?
My leisure reading of late has been "The Proper Bostonians" by Cleveland Amory, a sort of insider's historical description of the city's Brahmin families.

The following statement about artists by Endicott Peabody, one of Boston's nineteenth century merchant princes, reminded me somehow of Biblical exegetes.

"Bascially he [Peabody] distrusted artists as a genus. Something Puritan in him told him that, in spite of his love for them often as individuals, they were a folk who have unreliable relationships with the world, the flesh, and the devil, with a consequent weakening of moral fiber. At best, he felt, artists are interpreters, and while interpretation is well enough in its way, it is not on a plane with genuine accomplishment."

No comments: