Sunday, April 05, 2020

On a more practical note...

Ever since I was in junior high I have wanted to live a simpler, more natural life that included organic gardening, handicrafts, living in the land, etc. That is why I have been attracted to the Crunchy Cons and Caelum et Terra.

Yesterday my wife and I had a conversation about how to better put that into effect. One of the conclusions that we came to was that it is best to use what you have to make what you need, rather than buy things. 

The context was my intention to build a cold frame out of done old windows we have, and some raised garden boxes. I had ordered almost $200 worth of wood. 

It became clear, especially after talking to our son, that we had enough scrap wood from an old project that I could just build the cold frame with that. It wouldn't be as pretty, but it would certainly function adequately.

Also, we didn't really need the boxes.

My grandfather was a master at cobbling materials together that he had lying around. I realized that it is not only frugal, but rewarding to do the same.

Here is the cold frame:

Here is a wheel barrow made from an old bugger and a bin. It has the advantage of a detachable bin!:

When the handle broke on our push broom, instead it buying another, or even another handle, I attached an old pole from a broken "umbrella" clothesline we've keep around for decades:

I think this is fun!

No comments: