Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Psalm-prayer

I hear grumblings about the psalm-prayers in the LotH. I like them. I don't have an opinion about the appropriateness of having them. The Church has given them providentially to me for my spiritual edification.

At any rate, in the Office of Readings yesterday, the following prayer was given for Psalm 69:
God our Father, to show the way of salvation, you chose that the standard of the cross should go before us, and you fulfilled the ancient prophecies in Christ's passover from death to life. Do not let us rouse your burning indignation by sin, but rather, through the contemplation of his wounds, make us burn with zeal for the honor of your Church and with grateful love for you.
This is not a touchy-feely prayer. The Cross takes front and center. We do not shirk from mentioning God's burning indignation. Using the word "burn" twice is a nice touch. I'm especially moved by "zeal for the honor of your Church."

I wonder where these prayers came from?

No comments: