Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My favorite Jesuits

I'm among those who occasionally will bemoan the state of the Jesuit order, but in fact my experience of the Jesuits has been very good. I know, for instance, of at least two excellent novices in the Wisconsin Province. I also have a strong admiration for many living Jesuits, some whom I do know and some I don't. Here is the list in alphabetical order and a brief description:
  • Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J., Laurence J. McGinley Professor of Religion and Society, Fordham University.
  • Fr. Raymond Gawronsi, S.J., who does spiritual direction and teaches at St. Jean Vianny Seminary in Denver.
  • Fr. Joseph Koterski, S.J., associate professor of philophy at Fordham, very active in University Faculty for Life, and a great teacher of the Ignatian examen.
  • Fr. Bill Kurz, S.J., scripture scholar, pro-life activist, leader in the charismatic renewal, professor at Marquette University.
  • Fr. Michael Maher, associate professor of history at Gonzaga University and a fixture at Milwaukee Irish Fest (he can really ceili dance!).
  • Fr. James Schall, S.J., professor of political theory at Georgetown, wise guide for Catholic liberal higher education.
  • Msgr. Robert Sokolowski, S.J., The Elizabeth Breckenridge Caldwell Professor of Philosophy at Catholic University of America.
  • Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., President of Gonzaga University and author of Healing the Culture, a systematic presentation of the Life Principles program he developed.

I have a feeling I've published this list before. And I'm sure I've missed many most excellent Jesuits. Still, I think these are the most influential in my own intellectual work and/or personal life. If I remember more, or someone reminds me of some, I'll add them later.

1 comment:

love2learnmom said...

Great list! I would also add Fr. Joseph Fessio.