Sunday, July 12, 2020

My enthusiasms

We usually go through phases when we are especially enamored of one writer or another. My big phase, of course, was de Lubac back in the late '90s. Before that there as Merton. Before that, Tolkien (which never died). 

Here is a list of current writers and thinkers that I especially pay attention to these days:
Anthony Esolen    literature
Joseph Pearce    literature
Fr. Robert Spitzer    philosophy and science
O. Carter Snead    law
J. Budziszewski    political science
Helen Alvaré    law
Bishop Robert Barron    prelate
George Weigel    I don't even know
Archbishop Charles Chaput    prelate
Mac Horton    literature, politics, and cultural critique mostly, but also a lot of television, which I don't watch
Msgr. Charles Pope    pastor
My attraction has something to do with depth, thoroughness, clarity, solidity of thought, and groundedness in tradition. It is not even that I agree with everything that they say. Note that only one of them is a theologian. Interesting. 

As I remember others, I will add them in a separate post. 

No comments: