Saturday, January 23, 2010

Liturgy as Ingathering of all creation

"From the very beginning Jesus designed this institution precisely for this purpose, to rise in the midst of the people. Here is the wood of the cross standing firm and erect: Here our Lord's words find their fulfillment "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all things to myself" (John 2:32). A might process of assimilation, tending ever farther and farther, is centered in this glowing hearth--a process of conformation or at least approximation of the earthly to the heavenly, of the sinful life of man to the offering of the Son of God to His Father's will." J.A. Jungmann, S.J., The Mass of the Roman Rite (New York: Benziger, 1949), p. 1.
The idea of teh ingathering of all creation is, I think, an often neglected aspect of the liturgy. Teilhard de Chardin was viscerally aware of it, but then his ideas are suspect, so they don't get a proper hearing. I'm sure this is one of the reasons why de Lubac was sympathetic to Teilhard. I, at any rate, detect this them in de Lubac (as was made clear in my dissertation).

No comments: