Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What book should I look at?

There are going to be four types of texts I look at on this blog. The first is Sacred Scripture, the second is the literature of the Catholic tradition, the third is the literature of the 19th and 20th century Catholic revival and the fourth is Church documents. I don't know quite where to begin. I've thought of reading the letter of James, or perhaps Pieper's Leisure as the Basis of Culture, or perhaps Gaudium et Spes on its 40th anniversary. So much to read and so little time!

I recently was at a seminar at Marquette in which we discussed Chapter Six of Chesterton's Orthodoxy. If I could live a life where I did that kind of thing regularly--even daily--I would be very satisfied.

The question that surfaced in the discussion was whether there was a fundamental duality that lay behind the various dualities that Chesterton pointed to as being extremes both of which Catholicism embraces, rather than finding the Greek middle. I suggested spirit/matter. We worked with that some, but I am not sure whether we agreed that it worked in all instances.

No comments: