I have recently developed what I call a spiritual portfolio. This is a collection of texts and images that have had the most profound impact on my spiritual life over the years. St. Ignatius says: "Let him who is in consolation think how he will be in the desolation which will come after, taking new strength for then." I have decided that certain texts help me get and keep my head on straight, especially when I am in a period of interior spiritual turmoil. So, if I collect them together, I can have access to them in prayer to remind me of the truth I've known when in consolation. Right now they are only in a folder on my computer, but I intend to get a binder and put them in it. The current content is:
- Wisdom 9
- John 19
- The fourteen rules of St. Ignatius of Loyoal for dealing with desolation and consolation.
- Fr. Robert Spitzer's Four Levels of Happiness.
- St. Francis' first recension of Letter to the Faithful. (scroll down)
- The image of the Sacred Heart (the one you see to the left on my blog)
- The Unity Cross of the Schoenstatt movement.
- A list of special "words" or phrases the Lord has spoken to me in prayer over the years. I hope to share those at some point.