Friday, November 30, 2007

Another Sort of Learning

For a while now I've been praising Fr. James V. Schall, S.J.'s Student Guide to Liberal Learning. It is because of that book that I read Sertillanges' The Intellectual Life, which strikes me as the most sane guide I know of for those of us with an intellectual vocation. As a follow-up to The Student's Guide, I decided to read Another Sort of Learning, also by Schall. This is a great book! It is really an expanded version of the student's guide. Or, should I say the student's guide is a condensation of Another Sort, since the latter came out many years before the former. Needless to say, I highly recommend both of these books for college students and adults who want to take their Catholic intellectual life seriously, whether they have an intellectual vocation or not. And the book lists will keep you busy for the rest of your life.

3 comments:

love2learnmom said...

Did you know that the book is also available online here?

http://www.morec.com/schall/edu/index.html

Anonymous said...

Robert - I am reading through this book - and the recommended books there as well. I second your recommendations. I'm only up to the Guide for the Perplexed, but it is encouraging me to stave off intellectual laziness.

Robert Gotcher said...

What do you think of Schumacher? I read it several years ago and was positively impressed, but thought it veered a little in the New Agy direction toward the end, perhaps.