Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Modern culture
I am torn inside about modern pop culture. As you all know I really like the old songs and t.v. shows. On the other hand, I regret that so much of my mind is filled up with trivia about the Beatles and plots and gags from Gilligan's Island. The fact that I even have an opinion about Kirk vs. Picard (don't bring Sisko or Janeway into this!) is downright embarrasing.

What is worse, my kids are starting to get into this as well. They listen much too much to the oldies station and much too little to Tom Chapin or the classical station. (Part of the problem is that WFMR comes in so lousy in Franklin). My seventeen year old daughter has a copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the Herman's Hermits Greatest Hits. I have to tell her not to play certain of the songs in the house. That I have to even tell her this is disappointing. I'd hope she'd be more senstive than that.

At least she and her brothers and sisters hate all the rap and alternative rock and heavy metal. I can't imagine going to Summerfest, although I know of many Christians who do.

No comments: