Monday, October 07, 2002

Ambient noise
I know I've mentioned this before here and here, but one of the things that sets our age apart from the past is the technological noise that we continuously hear 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Even at the retreat house you couldn't get away from it. There are all kinds of electrical hums, motor noises, engines, fans, etc. that keep our technological paradise running, but I'm convinced also keep us more on edge and more distracted than we....now, what was I saying? Oh, yeah, that keep us more on edge and more distracted than we would be if we were actually able to experience real quiet or natural noises with no mechanical or electrical background noise. My body almost aches for this kind of peaceful, quiet experience.

By the way, Pippin survived the weekend thanks to the able help of Joey Vasquez, our sixteen-year old neighbor.

No comments: